It All Happened So Fast

April 30, 2010

It all started innocently enough. I decided to go for a quick stroll on my dinner break at work yesterday and found myself headed toward the lakeshore. I didn’t have enough time to make it all the way to Harbourfront (or else I would have gone to check out these and this) but figured it was better wandering aimlessly in the sunshine, during rush hour, in a tourist heavy area, than sitting in a stuffy room, in that uncomfortable chair, with my legs squashed beneath the desk. I wound up behind the CN Tower drawn towards a group of red and white tulips. The way the sun filtered through the flowers caught my eye so I join a small group of multilingual, camera wielding visitors feeling somewhat like a tourist myself. I love to travel and any opportunity to take a vacation, regardless of the duration, I consider a bonus (although I’d usually avoid an area like that but one must work within their restictions). I had snapped a few shots when I noticed a thin feather of dark smoke drifting across the horizon. I can’t tell you how often I see dark, pollutive smoke clogging up the skyline but this looked different. In a few minutes the scene looked like this:

A fire had broken out on the roof of a condominium on Queen’s Quay West. When I asked the folks in my radius if anyone had called 911 (I don’t own a cellphone) one man was on the line – on hold. It seemed to take a bit longer than I would have imagined to start hearing the whir of sirens in the not so far distance but once we detected the wail of help on its way, the man snapped his phone shut and made a bee-line for Union Station to catch his train home. According to The National Post, two women were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, but thankfully, no one else was hurt. The fire was still raging when I turned my back to the action. Only thirty minutes had passed since I started out on my stroll. By the time I walked back through the doors at work the thick black cloud floating across the sky had faded. And, I have to say, I was pretty impressed by how quickly, once they responded, the T.O.F.D. had it all under control.


3 Responses to “It All Happened So Fast”

  1. Mommy X said

    Wow…amazing photographs!

  2. Dennise said

    breath-taking and frightening all at the same time..too bad you couldn’t have sent those in to the paper..beautiful!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s